Share
Share
Pin
Features
28 Oct 2016
by CARPology
How to be more accurate with a catapult
For short-range application, the humble catapult is the most superior baiting tool going and here’s how to be awesomely accurate with it.

Precision and accuracy are two skills in your fishing, that when honed, can make you a much more successful angler. Accuracy and precision can account for many jobs that include casting, feature-finding and another massive piece to the puzzle is bait accuracy and application. Now whilst the spod or Spomb and throwing stick are great for more distance baiting, for short-range application, the humble catapult is the most superior baiting tool going and here’s how to be awesomely accurate with it.

1 Catapults should always be held side-on so that your fist is horizontal, rather than upright.

2 90% of the time the pouch is held by the piece of plastic/string. The other 10% of the time hold the pouch itself so that you can fire the bait downwards, towards the water. This helps in windy conditions as the bait is being fired at the water. However, this tactic doesn’t group the bait as tightly.

3 When feeding at range, it’s best to flick the wrist that holds the catapult frame forwards as you release the pouch to help achieve greater distances. This will spread the bait more as well, though. The other added bonus of doing this, is it prevents the catapult elastic/pouch from smashing your knuckles.

4 For increasing your distance you will need to put less baits in the pouch. If you are fishing at close-range you will get away with filling the pouch right up, but the further you need to go, decrease the amount of bait in the pouch.

5 When feeding regularly and at close/medium-range, try cutting the elastics back to prevent them from tangling.

6 With groundbait catapults, elastics are often cut down too, but this time so that when you pull them back and bottom them out, the balls of groundbait will be catapulted the same distance. (Obviously this relies on the balls being the same size and the angle of elevation being the same).

7 For really precise (but note a lot more time consuming) baiting, opt for a ‘canal’ or ‘maggot’ pult.

Also Recommended
Back to basics: The catapult
27/12/2016
Bait
Back to basics: The catapult
Dave Levy explains how you can get more out of your catapult
27/12/2016
Bait
Cygnet Wideframe Catapult
27/02/2017
Reviews
Cygnet Wideframe Catapult
A strong yet lightweight frame? Check. A tangle-free design for more effortless, accurate baiting? Yep.
27/02/2017
Reviews
How to avoid the birds when baiting up
18/09/2017
Features
How to avoid the birds when baiting up
Make the swimming and flying pests easier to deal with...
18/09/2017
Features
A To Z Of Boilie Fishing
18/10/2014
Bait
A To Z Of Boilie Fishing
Every letter of the alphabet cunningly represented by an item or tactic. Autumn means boilie time – so here’s CARPology’s guide to getting the most of it…
18/10/2014
Bait
Why you should watch your bobbins
10/04/2017
Features
Why you should watch your bobbins
Ellis Brazier offers his thoughts on fishing for liners, and what those lifts and drops on the bobbin actually mean
10/04/2017
Features
How to find the fish this spring
10/04/2017
Features
How to find the fish this spring
One of the key elements to spring success - get this bit right and you’re laughing
10/04/2017
Features
What matters more? Hook size or pattern?
07/04/2017
Features
What matters more? Hook size or pattern?
We ask our team of experts...
07/04/2017
Features
Do you know your Simmos from your Leneys?
05/09/2017
Features
Do you know your Simmos from your Leneys?
Here's your guide to understanding each strain of carp you'll find here in the UK courtesy of fish expert, James Anderson
05/09/2017
Features
Do slack lines cost anglers fish?
07/04/2017
Features
Do slack lines cost anglers fish?
We ask Terry Hearn...
07/04/2017
Features
How to take the perfect self-take
31/10/2017
Features
How to take the perfect self-take
Follow these simple steps to take the perfect self-take every time
31/10/2017
Features
Should you change the format of your hookbait in spring?
05/04/2017
Bait
Should you change the format of your hookbait in spring?
We ask four experts for their opinion...
05/04/2017
Bait
5 essentials for early spring fishing
04/04/2017
Features
5 essentials for early spring fishing
We ask four experts what their top five items are
04/04/2017
Features