The 'Messi' Maggot Rig!
A very clever maggot rig...
It was RidgeMonkey’s Gareth Evans who came up with this clever little maggot presentation, and what a banger it is too. “I refer to it as ‘The Messi’: small and subtle, but a bloody good kicker without any unnecessary fuss!” jokes Evans. “It’s light and nimble yet ruthlessly aggressive in the danger zone!” Here’s how you tie it…
What you need:
RM-Tec Stiff Coated Hooklink (Camo)
2.5mm Rig Rings
Beaked Point (size 8)
Pulling it all together
1. Strip back two-inches of the coating and tie on the 2.5mm rig ring.
2. Thread on your piece of fake sweetcorn, flat-sided, and position it against the rig ring.
3. Whip on your Beaked Point hook (Knotless Knot style, making around five turns) and then using a stripper tool, remove all the coating an inch from the hook; this will create a lovely kicker as you can see.
4. At the other end, tie either a Figure-Of-Eight-Loop knot or direct to your swivel using a Grinner.
5. Now for the maggots. Thread five or six onto a length of bait floss and then tie this onto the rig ring using a couple of Granny Knots. Attach a small bag of pellet or maggots and away you go. Deadly… just like Messi!
6. Want to learn how to tie more amazing rigs like this? Want to concoct the best spod mixes and roll the ultimate hookbaits? Then you need our new 140-page OlogyFix book. It’s packed full of tips and advice and will only set you back £6.99.