Pin
30 Jun 2016
by Nigel Sharp
How Nigel Sharp hits the mark
Nige explains how he hit the marker perfectly each and every time

Friends will often comment on how accurately I can cast – whether that’s to overhanging trees, a marker float or to gaps in the weed, and they will often ask why I’m so good at it. I liken it to anyone who practises something over and over again – like a darts or snooker player. They can throw a dart and hit an exact number or pot a ball and then be perfectly lined up for the next shot – it’s the same with me casting – but that only comes with years of practise.

I’m very fortunate in that I get to fish more than the average angler does, and as a result I make more casts and because of this I also get to learn more about the other things which affect a cast, such as wind direction and how to use it to my advantage so I get the perfect line lay rather than a big belly in the line.

Years of practise has helped hone my casting skills

Sometimes you also need to get a bait in position with just one cast – for example when casting to a showing fish. A bit like taking a penalty I suppose: you have one shot to get it right and make it count. When casting to a showing fish which is at my maximum range, then I’ll try my utmost to go just beyond it to allow for the lead to drop. Obviously on closer-range stuff, providing there’s no lily pads or weedbeds, then I will actually cast well pasted where the fish showed and then reel it back across the surface to where the fish showed or is bubbling. I’ll then just lower the rig down and feel for the drop. Doing it this way just eliminates the splash in the area.

When it comes to casting at a marker or a mid-water mark, I ideally want to slow the lead right down so it hits the clip just before impact with the water; it’s hard to do but years of practise helps. Crosswinds make things difficult when you’re having to cast harder and the lead hits the clip more aggressively causing it to bounce back and then causing a bow in the line. If you can catch it just right, a few inches before it hits the surface, then that’s perfect, particularly if you feather it so it almost just ‘plops’ in. The rod is always at minimum of 45-degrees to the water and up to 90-degrees; you want to use the rod as a brake, using it to cushion the lead as it hits the clip. The wind conditions decide whether I have the rod at 45-degrees or 90-degrees.

Also Recommended
Gravel bars and silt spots explained
03 Jan 2017
Gravel bars and silt spots explained
Fish a gravel pit? Fish a lake with silt? Nigel Sharp explains how to crack them
03 Jan 2017  /  13:42 pm  /  by Nigel Sharp
How to tie a Helicopter Rig
21 Dec 2016
Rigs
How to tie a Helicopter Rig
This is the kiddy for when you're fishing in silty areas...
21 Dec 2016  /  10:15 am  /  by CARPology
Rigs
4 steps to catching a brute
01 Dec 2016
4 steps to catching a brute
Heather the Leather, The Burghfield Common, Shoulders. Nigel Sharp's catch book reads like that of the who's who of carp in carpdom. Here he explains how he goes about targeting just these brutes of the lake...
01 Dec 2016  /  19:27 pm  /  by Nigel Sharp
Features
Does fishing a bait on the edge of a baited area really work?
08 Nov 2016
Bait
Does fishing a bait on the edge of a baited area really work?
Nigel Sharp debunks some big fish theories. Does it really work?
08 Nov 2016  /  09:23 am  /  by CARPology
Bait
How to deal with a multiple take
25 Oct 2016
How to deal with a multiple take
This is how Nigel Sharp's mental checklist looks...
25 Oct 2016  /  13:13 pm  /  by Nigel Sharp
How to replicate the effect of pre-baiting without actually pre-baiting
21 Oct 2016
Bait
How to replicate the effect of pre-baiting without actually pre-baiting
Think like a match angler, bait like a match angler
21 Oct 2016  /  14:00 pm  /  by Nigel Sharp
Bait
5 things I've learnt about winter fishing
19 Oct 2016
5 things I've learnt about winter fishing
Nigel Sharp reveals the top five things that he's learnt about winter carp fishing over the years
19 Oct 2016  /  15:53 pm  /  by Nigel Sharp
What life's really like as a full-timer
19 Oct 2016
What life's really like as a full-timer
We've all thought about it, dreamt about it... jacking it all in and fishing for a living. Meet Nigel Sharp, the man who did just that and become a pro angler.
19 Oct 2016  /  14:43 pm  /  by CARPology
How to catch a brute like Nigel Sharp
13 Oct 2016
How to catch a brute like Nigel Sharp
Big fish angler Nigel Sharp looks at the dedication, mindset and approach required to catch the brutes of your lake
13 Oct 2016  /  15:11 pm  /  by Nigel Sharp
Why I don't use Chod Rigs
05 Oct 2016
Rigs
Why I don't use Chod Rigs
There have been many methods and tactics used over the decades, but here’s Nigel Sharp’s top ten which have seemingly dominated the big carp scene for the past 20 years - next up, the Chod Rig.
05 Oct 2016  /  11:22 am  /  by Nigel Sharp
Rigs
End tackle according to Nigel Sharp
29 Sep 2016
End tackle according to Nigel Sharp
Nigel Sharp talks us through his thoughts on rigs, lead set-ups and hookbaits
29 Sep 2016  /  09:11 am  /  by Nigel Sharp
Nigel Sharp on the Hinged Stiff Link
27 Sep 2016
Rigs
Nigel Sharp on the Hinged Stiff Link
There have been many methods and tactics used over the decades, but here’s Nigel Sharp’s top ten which have seemingly dominated the big carp scene for the past 20 years - first up, the Hinged Stiff Link
27 Sep 2016  /  12:23 pm  /  by CARPology